Sunday, June 7, 2009

Whipped Into Shape



Whip cream pies are the symbol of the New York Yankees this season. Why whip cream pies? Because whenever the Yankees get a walk off win pitcher A.J. Burnett pies the “hero” of the game while they are being interviewed about their late inning heroics. These heroics are not a rare occurrence to the Yankees either. The signature of the Yankees this year have been the comeback victories. They have had a major league leading 20 come from behind victories. For a Yankees fan it is has been a great season to watch, and this season seems to represent the Yankees as a whole. The Yankees had a terrible year last year, missing the playoffs for the first time in thirteen years. This was new to the Yankees and to their fans, and trust me it was painful not seeing the pinstripes in October. Prior to this season I was reading an article on ESPN where experts took questions from fans around the world. There was one in particular that summed up the performance of the Yankees last season:

“I am a Blue Jays fan and I was wondering what it would take for the Jays to win the Al East above the Red Sox and the Rays (I am not scared of the Yankees at all this season)?”

Reading this I was disgusted, the New York Yankees had lost a lot of respect from that season, and I myself was not sure if we would be able to return to the top this season, where Yankees and their fans are used to being. And then the season started and things did not look to be any better. First week of the season the Yankees get destroyed by the Cleveland Indians 22-4, and it seemed it would be another season of disappointment. However, the Yankees started to do what they seem to keep on doing, they made a comeback. The players made comeback performances (Mark Teixeira had a horrible May and is now one of the hottest players in the league, Melky Cabrera was unable to hit anything last season and is now one of the most clutch performers in baseball) comebacks from injuries (Hideki Matsui, Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada), and comeback victories. This Yankees team is resilient, they never let up, and because of this are able to come back no matter the deficit or challenge in front of them. They are now ahead in the American League East, with the best record in the entire American League. Now when the Yankees are down in a game I don't lose faith, because I know that there is a good chance that someone from the Yankees will be getting a whip cream pie in their face at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment